Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Rubel Castle, Communal Kitchen

You may remember our good friend Craig Woods, the Superintendent at Mount Wilson Observatory. Craig invited us to a special Sunday potluck breakfast at Rubel Castle, otherwise known as Rubel Farms, or simply, "the Pharm." Craig also introduced us to Scott Rubel, who grew up at the Castle and is now the Facilities Manager at the Carnegie Observatories.

I hope you're following this, because I'm not sure I am.

By the way, it's pronounced roo-BELL.

I make decent granola. I thought it would be good to bring some to a breakfast potluck. But I asked, just in case. Craig said we should bring donuts.

Donuts? Really? We discussed it and decided: if Craig wants donuts, he shall have donuts. We kept the granola for ourselves, and hoped other people would bring something healthy.

Apparently there's a tradition. Newbies are roped into bringing donuts and basically no one eats them. I had two. (Others managed to grab a few as well, so it wasn't a total loss.) Everyone thought it was funny that we fell for it and everyone was nice. AND there was plenty of healthy food to eat.

There are six apartments at the Pharm, most of them occupied by resident artists. Once a month they hold a potluck breakfast and invite friends. Some people are regulars. It felt special to be there enjoying something different, meeting new people, seeing folks I knew, feeling included.

Every single corner of the Pharm holds something weird or wonderful or old or special. There are too many photos to take. You will not see everything here on the blog because it would be impossible to show it all. But there's more, and I'll do my best.


12 comments:

Lowell said...

I love old places with their musty smells and intriguing artifacts. A breakfast potluck sounds wonderful, and I'd probably eat a donut or two myself (plus some granola!). I really enjoyed these photos!

BettyS said...

Wonderful photos. And I feel your pain about the donuts! Cruel humor. :)

William Kendall said...

The place looks suitably eccentric to my tastes, which is very good indeed. I like the little stuffed critters in the scale!

Petrea Burchard said...

Thank you, Lowell! I'm doing a whole series on the place so I hope you'll come back. The photo ops were endless.

Betty, there wasn't a cruel person in the bunch. I'll find a way to get back at Craig.

William, it's eccentric, charming, weird, funky, you name it. All in the best senses of the words.

magiceye said...

Seems like a great way to spend a day!! Lovely pictures!

Petrea Burchard said...

Thanks, Magiceye!

Bellis said...

I can't get over the interconnectedness between this Castle, Mount Wilson, and the street where you live. I'd love to see it, it looks like a place that's been there for centuries. It'd make a good setting for a time travel book or movie, wouldn't it?

Petrea Burchard said...

It would!
The interconnectedness is why I was wondering if I was following it all. I'm probably not. Pasadena is a big small town.

Katie said...

Such fun to get a tour of Rubel Castle! Looks like just my kind of wacky place. And I would have eaten the donuts!

Petrea Burchard said...

That's a much-appreciated vote of confidence!

Unknown said...

The top photo is super! Love the window and the work on the glass.

Petrea Burchard said...

Thanks, José. I'd love to see what you and your camera would do at this place.